Adobe PostScript printer drivers (For Windows)

Adobe PostScript printer drivers For Windows 

Keywords Adobe, PostScript, printer, drivers, Windows, 11, x, 17, files, Generic, Driver

11 x 17 postscript files from the Generic Postscript Driver?

Adobe PostScript printer drivers (For Windows) Forum Index -> Adobe PostScript printer drivers (For Windows)

AuthorMessage
jason_buss (A_T) adobeforums.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: 11 x 17 postscript files from the Generic Postscript Driver?

Is this possible? I have customized drivers from other printers, but I cannot find a method for doing this with the Adobe Generic Postscript Driver. I would like to use it, because all of our production machines use that driver exclusively to eliminate issues with varied drivers.
Dov Isaacs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 11 x 17 postscript files from the Generic Postscript Dri

Assuming that you are under Windows 2000, XP, or Server 2003, there is no such beast as an Adobe Generic PostScript driver!

There is an Adobe installer that associates the standard Windows Postscript driver (PSCRIPT5.DLL) with a user-designated PPD file. That installer does provide a generic PPD in a file DEFPRTR2.PPD. Unfortunately, this PPD is for a 300dpi, monochrome, PostScript Language Level 2 printer with less capability than the Apple LaserWriter IIg. It does not support TrueType fonts. It supports a very limited number of paper sizes and for those, it assumes large, non-printable borders. In other words, using that PPD for creation of a PostScript printer driver instance for almost anything other than an ancient 300dpi letter-size PostScript device circa 1991 will be an exercise in futility.

Tell us what you really are trying to accomplish and maybe we can provide some useful advice!

- Dov
   Adobe PostScript printer drivers (For Windows) Forum Index -> Adobe PostScript printer drivers (For Windows)All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1